Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Potter

Pottery is a subject that I don't know much about.

Maybe that's because of an elementary school art project gone bad.

Very bad.

I worked hard at shaping it.

Making it look just right.

It never did.

Anyone want a lopsided bowl?

Me neither.

So what makes me think I can handle the making of a life?

It's interesting to see God portrayed in the Bible as a potter.

We are the clay.

He doesn't lump us all together.

Isn't that awesome?

He puts us on the potter's wheel one by one.

Isaiah 29:16 (ESV) "...Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say of its maker, "He did not make me"; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, "He has no understanding"?"

God knows what specific experiences we need to become the vessel He intends for us to be.

His hand is in all things.

To shape us.

Why fight it?

Why not trust Him?

The potter knows the plan.

And it's a good one.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

The truth is I'd much rather have God's hand shaping my life than my own.

I've seen my attempts.

Anyone want a lopsided bowl?

Me neither.

No comments: