Monday, June 8, 2009

It Wasn't My Bible

Last week I interviewed Las Vegas pastor Isaac David for an upcoming Total Impact segment.

When we finished in the studio he gave me a gift.

A New King James Study Bible.

Brand new in fact.

What a blessing!

So I thanked him and put the Bible, which was shrink-wrapped in the box, on my desk.

There it sat.

I was meaning to open it up.

The thought crossed my mind many times during the week.

But something held me back.

I don't think this is my Bible.

On Friday evening I finished the show and went back to my office.

There it sat.

It's brand new!

So cool!

Really now.

Should I leave it here Lord, or take it home?

Maybe I'll meet someone who needs a Bible this weekend.

Or maybe I'll just leave it here because you'll show me who to give it to through my work.

I finally picked up the box and headed out the back door.

Just at that very moment I sensed some movement by the fence.

I looked.

It was a homeless man spreading out his tattered sleeping bag on the ground.

This was where he was going to spend the night.

I continued walking to my car.

Then there was this feeling.

A feeling as clear as the air on a cold morning.

That's HIS Bible.

The dialogue began.

Lord is that you talking, or just me?

This a brand new Bible.

Did you see how dirty his hands are?

He might even sell it for a bottle of booze.

Or a pack of cigarettes.

Or something much worse.

I opened the car door and sat in the driver's seat.

Just then I noticed the man had started walking across the empty desert, away from the building.

Where's he going?

Oh man.

Did I miss an opportunity to serve you, Lord?

Hebrews 13:2 (NIV) "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. "

"What's that prayer you been praying, Kurt?

You want to see more of Me in your life.

To be used by Me.

Will you pass up this opportunity, or seize it?"

Lord, he took off.

Look.. there he goes behind that building way over there on the other side of the vacant lot.

Lord, I do want to be used by you.

If he comes back I'll give him the Bible.

But I need to get home.

Can you send him back soon?

I waited 30 seconds.

Then a minute.

I got out of the car.

What's that.... no way!

He was walking back across the vacant lot.

With a beat up plastic white bucket.

I rejoiced.

When he returned to his spot by the fence I grabbed the Bible and walked over.

"Hi... how are you?"

He seemed confused.

Or maybe just surprised someone was speaking kindly to him.

Or speaking to him at all.

"Do you like to read?" I asked.

"Yes" he said simply.

"I have something here for you.

It's a brand new Bible.

Look.. it's still in the box.

Still has the shrink wrap on it.

There are all kinds of notes to help you understand what you're reading.

It's yours if you promise me one thing."

"Sure" he said, a crooked smile breaking forth on his lips.

"Promise me you'll read it."

He quickly ran to the white plastic bucket.

He reached in, hands shaking.

He pulled out a mangled, cheap, almost shredded copy of the Bible.

The Lord knew it was time for a new one.

A very nice one.

Maybe that Bible was an answer to this man's prayers.

I don't know.

I didn't ask.

Somehow it didn't matter.

Especially when I looked back over my shoulder as I made my way to the car.

He was softly and reverently touching the top of the box.

I can see him still.

2 comments:

MoonLtStrl (Joan) said...

Awesome story. I cried. Thank you for this reminder about opportunities and not letting them slip by. Listening and obeying when God moves us into action.

Unknown said...

I love the story!
I heard JD mention it Monday am & I was confused, thought he meant someone gave it to you & you just threw it away!
I had to look for myself!
WONDERFUL, Inspiring & Loving God always shows us the way if we just take a minute or two to listen HE ALWAYS GUIDES US RIGHT! :)
alaxi