Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Well Within




Have you ever been super thirsty, but no matter how much you drank your thirst wasn't quenched?
If not spend a summer here in the desert.
Play a little tennis at about 3pm in late July.
You'll know!
My problem is that instead of water I want to drink a Coke.
Or maybe fruit juice.
Anything but water.
Bottom line: I'm not drinking the right thing.
And the result is that I'm thirsty again within minutes.
Maybe even seconds!
What a parallel this is to life.
I want to quench my spiritual thirst with:
*Relationships
*Money
*Busyness
*Pleasure
*Material things
*Popularity
*Worldly Success
But the principal is the same: I'm still thirsty.
I don't think it was a coincidence that Jesus talked about this spiritual thirst.
First, take a look at what He said in a casual encounter with a woman at the town well:
John 4:13-14 (ESV) 13 Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

And later in John's Gospel....

John 7:37-38(ESV): 37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.' "

These verses are for those who have accepted Christ as Savior.

The spiritual thirst is quenched by a never ending supply of the forgiveness and love of God.

It's the power of the Holy Spirit in us.

So as we go through life we may face the toughest challenges imaginable:

*The loss of a loved one

*Illnesses

*Financial Problems

*Relationship problems

*Work related problems

The non-believer who has been pursuing the things that can't quench his thirst has no power to cope.

The believer has the power but may have his "well" plugged by trying to quench his thirst in the wrong ways too.

Unplug the pipeline.

Jesus alone is enough.

Believe it and begin to live it.

Then... no matter what is going on around you... you'll always have a never ending supply of pure living water that can't be contaminated by the stuff of life.

Joy, satisfaction, and power flow from the well within.

No comments: