Friday, September 26, 2008

Following Christ Day By Day

One step forward.
Two steps back.
Isn't that how it is for those of us who follow Christ?
At least that's the way it seems to be for me.
But even on my best days, I know I fall short.
But God knows I long to follow Him because of my great love for Him.
And knowing I need the blood of Jesus to forgive my sins every single day makes His sacrifice on the cross all the more meaningful.
Every day I thank Him for taking my punishment.
And for giving me His righteousness.
But wait... there's more!
Author Jerry Bridges talks about dealing with anxiety in his life.
In Matthew chapter 8 He was reading about Jesus and the disciples caught in a bad storm on the Sea of Galilee.
The disciples were terrified.
Jesus was asleep in the back of the boat.
And Jerry thought... Jesus was asleep for me.

This is what Jerry writes in the book "Stand"(Crossway):
"All that Jesus did in both His sinless life and sin-bearing death was all on my behalf.
In contrast to my anxiety, Jesus was never anxious.
In far more desperate circumstances than I faced Jesus fully trusted His Heavenly Father.
And I get the credit for it.

I knew my sin was forgiven and instead I had been credited with perfect obedience (in this case, the perfect trust) of Jesus. So I went out into my day not only encouraged but determined that by His grace I would fight against my anxiety".

Our trust in the Lord is something we have to renew daily.
We can't live live today on yesterday's commitment.

No comments: