Monday, September 15, 2008

Do We Hope Or Do We Know?

Check out these verses from James Chapter 1:

James 1:2-4 (ESV) 2 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

The testing of my faith.
And what is the definition of faith?

Hebrews 11:1 (ESV) 1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

So the passage in James might read something like this: the testing of your assurance and conviction will produce steadfastness.

It's interesting to me that what is being tested isn't hope.

Hope is half-hearted so much of the time isn't it?

In my own life, I've been praying about God showing up in a specific way in my life.

But it struck me that when I pray my heart is hoping more than believing.

Believing that God will live up to His promises in his Word.

Believing that my God will always do what's best for me, in His time.

Hope is wishy-washy.

Faith is a sturdy oak tree standing strong in the storms of life.

Hope fades.

Faith doesn't.

And the only way for faith to grow is to be tested.

We may falter, but Jesus, our Saviour, is praying that we will succeed in the end.

Just like He prayed for Peter, fully knowing Peter would deny Him:

Luke 22:31-32 (ESV) 31 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Hope only takes us so far.

Faith takes us the distance.

May we lean on Christ every step of the way.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What an awesome blog! What a blessing you are! Thank you for being at Deeper Still. I didn't give you my name but we were talking about Jack French.

Can I use some of your blog for a talk at church this weekend?