Monday, September 8, 2008

A Great Story of Faith on Total Impact

First off... thanks to all of the awesome ladies who stopped by the SOS Booth this weekend at the Deeper Still event here in Vegas. It was nice to chat with so many of you!
I did stick my head into the arena at the Thomas & Mack to catch some of the teaching on Saturday. Kay Arthur... bravo! Beth Moore...bravo! And Priscilla Shirer.. bravo!
A lot of bravos but they deserve it.
I hope Deeper Still comes back next year.

Tonight on Total Impact we begin a 2 part series on Childhood Cancer. We'll be sharing the story of the Castillio family.
Melanie was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 6.
This Christian family had their faith stretched in many ways.
But WOW.. how God answered their prayers and guided them is so encouraging.
We'll be talking with Melanie and her dad Raul.

There are so many children like Melanie who have leukemia and need a bone marrow transplant. That's why the Nevada Childhood Cancer Foundation is hosting a bone marrow drive here in Las Vegas this Friday and Saturday at various locations.
It's easy to do. They just swab the inside of your mouth and that's it.
You could be a match, and might be able to save a child's life.
A child like Melanie!
For more info including locations for the drive click on this link: http://www.nvccf.org/
Melanie is now going back to the hospital where she was treated to give other children hope.
To listen to her story on Total Impact follow the links!
Melanie's Story Part 1: http://www.box.net/shared/p0zkxs59d2
Melanie's Story Part 2: http://www.box.net/shared/vtr08zfsf7

Melanie is quite the poet.

Here is a poem she wrote about her expereince with cancer:

"Turtle Dove"

A Pigeon.
“Oh, God, why a pigeon?” I asked with a heart so torn and sad.
“A pigeon you created me and I wish I were not!”
I look upon the whitest doves with a longing so to be.
For they are loved and cherished, but a pigeon is surly not.
The doves so white, are beautiful. They are perfect and are blessed.
A pigeon is despised and hated and cast off.
“Oh, God I feel alone!” I cried
“I feel their looks of scorn. My dark mangled feathers are slowly shedding and my heart keeps on breaking.”
Some ignored me and others pitied me.
Neither which I wanted.
I was ugly in my eyes.
I saw what the world saw.
I was disgusted at my own reflection.
A rat with wings was how a felt.
Most feared me.
I carried disease.
What if they caught it?
That was their question.
What if they caught the pigeons’ disease?
Didn’t’ they see how that hurt me?
Didn’t’ they even care?
“Why me?” I cried to God. “why did you chose me?”
“My baby bird.” He said to me, “Why cannot you see?”
“Never were you a filthy pigeon as you though you were. Come with me, I’ll heal you and your feathers will grow back. But I will share with you now why is it your life was bad.
‘I ran with you when you were joyous, and walked with you when you were tired or sad. And I carried you when the pain was immense and I never put you down.
‘I had a plan from your birth to touch those far and near. To suffer is but a part of it all but soon you will see the rest.
Now see your feathers, take a look and see them for what they are. True they are not white, but they are not of what you though.”
I take a look at what has grown and my eyes begin to tear.
“you see, my baby bird, not all can be doves of white. Others must carry a different burden but one that changes lives.
‘In times of old, before of flesh I was born, a certain bird was sacrificed. He gave his life for all to see that God was on his way.
‘This bird must suffer, yes its’ true, but by Me is highly blessed, for this certain bird must be sacrificed for my glory and will to be.
‘A life of suffering, true, you had, but now its’ in the past, now show our feathers brown and new and tell of what I’ve done. For many times by suffer and sacrifice must My love truly fly. “
“And so I shared my story with those, still pigeons of the world. For through my sadness and my pain I shed old feathers and grew some new. And now those feathers tell me now what my God, my Father, once told me.
“Baby bird, you were never a pigeon, you were born
a turtle dove.”

No comments: