Thursday, September 11, 2008

A New Take On A Classic Verse

In my daily Bible reading I came across a classic verse:
Hebrews 12:1 (NIV) 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

A familiar verse that hit me in a new way.
The race is this Christian life.
When I'm in the race, I don't need anything to hold me back.
To slow me down.
To get me distracted or discouraged.

That not only includes my sin that so easily entangles, but also the sins of others that can impact my life and the way I run this race.
I confess my sins and I am forgiven because Jesus took the punishment for my sins on the Cross. I then begin anew to pursue God. I want to honor Him by being obedient.
But the sinful choices of others ...that's a whole different ball game.
They may care less about living a Godly life.
They may not have accepted Christ as Saviour.
They may just be far away from Him.
They may be a family member, a boss, a co-worker or a friend.
What they do affects me.
So how do I throw off this sin that so easily entangles?

First off, the most loving thing I can do is not to do anything that would keep this person comfortable in their sin. I need to allow room for the Holy Spirit to convict them and bring change. Maybe I need to set up some boundaries. God will show us what to do.
And remember we can't change hearts.
But God can!
And we can pray for Him to do just that.

Second, I can remember that Satan wants to destroy me if I truly want to live a life that honors God. He'll use anything he can to achieve his goal. That's where the distraction and discouragement comes in.
How many runners have lost a race because they turned their heads and were distracted?
They were looking at something or someone else.
Entangled.
Carrying extra weight.
So what's the answer?
It's right there.... just a few of verses down:
Hebrews 12:2 (NIV) "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..."
Fix our eyes on Jesus.
He's standing at the finish line.
In the end, all we can control is how we run.
Let Him take care of those other runners who want to trip us up.
He will.

No comments: