Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Grateful For The Holy Spirit


The Holy Spirit.
Given to all who truly accept the death and Resurrection of Jesus for their sins.
Given to us as believers.
The past couple of days I've been pondering about how I view the Holy Spirit in my life.
All of the theology aside, how do I think about Him when I do think about Him?

The real daily grind kind of thinking.

The answer: A source of power. An influence.

The problem with that limited perspective: He's a PERSON!

Sure, a mysterious person at times. Jesus said in John 3:8:

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."

The Bible says we can grieve Him with sinful choices.

We can quench His influence too.

But how many of us can testify that He's never given up on us?

He's drawn us back to Christ.

He's the Comforter, the Guide, the Helper. Again, Jesus said:

(John 16:12-13)"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth..."

He loves us. Paul wrote this: (Romans 15:30) I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the LOVE of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God..."

And he's God!

So each day I'm learning to thank God the Father for sending His Son to die for my sins on the cross.

I thank Jesus for coming to this earth to live the perfect life I never could. To go to the cross and endure MY punishment for all of my sins and give me HIS righteousness so that God can be both just and merciful. The great exchange at the cross means I enter Heaven based on the righteousness of Jesus. It's a free gift to us but one that was infinitely costly to God. The Resurrection of Jesus from the grave is proof that God accepted that sacrifice!

And now I thank the Holy Spirit for drawing me to Jesus, for never giving up on me, for being a true friend, for help when I read the Bible He inspired, for guidance and power.

Jesus said it was good that He was going away so that He could send the Holy Spirit to us:

(John 16:7) "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you."

We seek not a power or a mystical influence.

We seek a closer relationship with a Person.

He's with me right now as I type these words.

And as a believer He's with you as you read them.

No comments: