Thursday, April 2, 2009

Proudly Presenting......

I'm not proud of the pride in my life.

It surfaces in good times and bad.

In quiet moments.

In noisy moments.

In subtle and not so subtle ways.

There are so many verses in the Bible that address this sin we all grapple with.

But the bottom line is that even though God hates all sin, pride is the worst.

It's at the top of His "Things I Most Hate List":

Proverbs 6:16-17 (AMP) "These six things the Lord hates, indeed, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look [the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others]......."

Remember Satan's big fall?

Trace it back to pride:

Isaiah 14:12-14 (NKJV) "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.'

When we indulge in pride we are opposed by God Himself!

1 Peter 5:5 (ESV) "....... Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

This holds true even for Christians.

God is against us because He is for us.

He wants us to depend on Him alone.

The goal is one of great love.

He'll bring us down.

Down to a place where we'll really learn that He is the Lord.

That's a good place to be.

A place of true joy and satisfaction.

We'll be so content there He may surprise us one day.

1 Peter 5:6 (ESV) "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you.."

Funny thing about God's promotions.

When we least want it we may get it.

I think that's the point.

No comments: