Friday, April 24, 2009

Don't Rob The Cross



Recently I had a conversation with someone about the meaning of the cross.
This person claimed that many Christians view the cross in an "unhelpful way."

Alarms went off inside my spirit.

Basically, his position is that we should never view Jesus' death on the cross as taking the wrath of God for our sins.

How could a loving father torture and kill his own son?

Isn't that cosmic child abuse?

Instead.. he went on to say... we need to focus on God's love at the cross.

More alarms went off.

Big ones this time.

They were almost too loud to hear what else he was saying.

But I got it.

He claimed this whole "wrath of God" thing makes us fear the Lord.

He didn't mean fear as in "have reverence and awe for a perfect and Holy God."

He meant be afraid of Him.

There's big difference between the two.

What about the Old Testament "fear of the lord"... that reverence and awe?

Proverbs 1:7 (ESV) "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."

That's just one occurrence out of 1,272 in the Old Testament.

Okay.

That's the Old Testament, he says.

In the New Testament, there's a new covenant.

Jesus changed all that stuff.

Oh really?

"Yes," he says, and then quotes this verse:

2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV) "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

Sounds good.

Until you read the context of the verse.

Paul was referring to Timothy using his gifts in ministry, boldly doing what God asked him to do.

2 Timothy 1:6 (NKJV) "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands."

The truth is God is not only Holy and Just.

He's also merciful and forgiving.

There's the dilemma.

How can I remain true to My Holiness and yet offer mercy.....forgiveness of sins?

I must punish sin.

But I am love.

I'll send My own Son to take the punishment.

Because I love people.

What I demand, I will provide.

Isaiah 53:10 (ESV) "Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand."

The will of the Lord to crush Jesus.

For your sins.

For my sins.

That is love.

John 15:13 (ESV) "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends."

I think we've lost a true fear of God these days.

And it robs the Lord of His Glory.

And Jesus Himself said this:

Luke 12:4-5 (ESV) "I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!"

That's a healthy fear.

Isaiah 66:2 (ESV) "All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."

He's the King.

We trust in the Lord.

He is always for us.. and loves us!

Romans 8:32 (ESV) "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?"

Yes, Jesus rose from the grave.

Yes, He defeated sin and death.

He is Risen!

But those who want to focus only on the Risen Lord and refuse to linger at the cross need to remember something.

The nail holes remain in His hands and feet.

John 20:25 (ESV) So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."

John 20:26-27 (ESV) Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe."

We will remember the cross for eternity.

The blood poured out for our forgiveness.

The blood that makes this new life possible.

God Holy and Just.

Full of mercy and loving kindness.

He took His own wrath.

I'll never tire of thinking about it.

Pure joy in my heart.

I bow down.

I worship.

Again and again.

No comments: