Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Believe. I Really Do.

Do you believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross for your sins, and rose from the dead on the third day?

I mean... do you really believe?

Funny thing about that word believe.

It used to mean so much more than it does today.

"It's a commitment that shows up in your life."

Sigh.

Not so anymore.

Many people (and I used to be among them) hang their hat, and their faith, on this verse:

Romans 10:9-10 (ESV) "...... if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved."

I used to think like this:

"Hey, I confessed with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and I believe God raised Him from the dead. I'm in!"

"No matter what I do or don't do, I'm Heaven bound."

"It's a done deal."

"I can live the same life I've always lived."

"I've got fire insurance."

Thank you Jesus!

Maybe you have had those thoughts, too.

You wouldn't admit it to anyone else, but you know they're rattling around in your head.

But one day I realized something truly life changing.

What does it mean to really believe?

If I can live the same life and not care about sin and what it cost Jesus to purchase my forgiveness with His blood, that's a facade of belief.

If I believe He's Lord, I do what He says.

Gladly.

With joy.

And love.

Jesus said....

John 14:21 (NIV) "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me."

True belief is active.

Not passive.

Surrender in living color.

You can't put a lid on it.

You can't hide it in a box marked "For Sunday Only".

"So... what you're saying is that if I really believe I'll always get it right?"

Nope.

And it's those times when you'll need to believe the most.

No comments: