Friday, March 27, 2009

Kneeling From The Inside Out

As a Christian do you have any "life verses"?

Words out of the Bible that speak to your heart.

Many times over.

In all seasons of life.

I have several.

But topping the list is this one:

Isaiah 66:2 (ESV) "..... But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."

Trembles at my Word.

Notice it doesn't say.... "obeys my word."

Sometimes trembling is better than obedience.

We can be obedient to God on the outside.

And care less about Him on the inside.

But a trembling heart is full of reverence and awe.

Of love.

Wanting to be obedient and yet falling short.

Kneeling before God from the inside out.

Humble-Knowing He's always totally consistent.

Contrite-Knowing I'm not.

How can I not tremble?

And He smiles.

Mercy is granted.

I'm humbled yet again.

Luke 18:10-14 (ESV) "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.'

But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments: