Monday, March 30, 2009

Beware of the Breeze

Do you ever breeze through the opening lines of a book of the Bible?

I know I do.

Especially the letters in the New Testament.

"Okay...Paul wrote this letter to these believers in such and such a place.... cool.. now let's get to the good stuff!"

But I just realized something.

Every inspired word in the Bible is there for a reason.

It's all "good stuff".

No fluff.

I'm learning now how important it is to ask the Holy Spirit to open up the Word as I read.

Help me to find value in the most unlikely verses.

Here's a good example:

Romans 1:1 (ESV) " Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God...."

You know what words lit up for me in that verse?

Servant of Christ Jesus.

It was an "Ah Ha!" moment as I realized that's what we all are as His followers!

He's the Master.

I'm the servant.

My job is to do what He asks me to do.

Not to run ahead of Him and do what I think He wants me to do.

Can you imagine a servant who shows up and does whatever he wants to?

Chaos.

Detours.

Much effort.

And little true progress in the Master's business.

As a servant I'm to follow where He leads.

Not be lazy.

Or inactive.

But prepare myself to hear the summons.

To know the voice of the Master.

And then spring into action.

With a spring in my step.

Jesus knew what He was doing when He set the pattern:

John 6:38 (CEV) "I didn't come from heaven to do what I want! I came to do what the Father wants me to do. He sent me..."

Even the Son of God took orders.

He was praying all the time!

Amazing!

So if you're heart is to be a servant of Christ Jesus, stay close to Him.

The Master will let you know what you need to know when you need to know it.

And don't be suprised if He decides to speak in the verses you most want to breeze through.

Ouch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about all those geneologies?

Anonymous said...

By the way, totally true!!!!