Monday, August 3, 2009

A Sign For The Times

Are you the parent of a teen?

I am.

A teen who is still learning how to drive.

I could talk about the warm and fuzzy conversations my son and I have had during this whole process.

Or the high blood pressure that I may need to seek treatment for in light of it.


But instead I'm considering a move that seems to make sense to me.

Which means it won't make any sense at all to my son.

It's a magnet that you can put on your car.

Susan Kessler has developed signs for teens with learner permits and first-year licenses.

They're attached magnetically to the car's sheet metal and display the words "Caution Newly Licensed."

More than 15,000 of people have ordered the signs since Kessler and a group of other moms introduced them four years ago.

She now sells them nationally at cost, for $7.99, through a Web site, newlylicensed.com, and is looking for a national retail outlet to handle them.

So let's see..... more than 15,000 moms & dads are resting a little easier today.

And more than 15,000 teens are horrified.

They'll talk about being scarred for life.

Pretty tough to look cool picking up your date in a car with that kind of signage.

But hey.... you'll score points with her parents.

Not exactly the same thing.. is it?

Of course we as parents aren't clueless.

They're magnets.

The kids can always take them off and we won't know it.

Maybe they can embed a tracking device on them in the future......?!

Oh how control is slipping away.

I think it's time to pray.

No comments: