Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Page Jumper

This morning I prayed before I even cracked the spine of my One-Year Bible.

I always say something like...

"Lord, I seek a word for today. Holy Spirit, make the words I need most to hear jump off the page and into my heart!"

I opened the Bible.

Some verses from a favorite Psalm greeted my eyes and yes... jumped off the page:

Psalm 84:11-12 (ESV) "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!"

For the Lord is a sun....

Lord you are as bright as the noonday sun.

You light my path and bring warmth to my soul.

"..a shield.."

You protect me.

From the world.

From others.

From myself.

"...the Lord bestows favor and honor."

Your favor... your smile... the honor you give me I don't deserve.

But then again, you always treat me with such undeserved kindness.

Honor me?

Wow.

I am reminded that the only honor that counts is from you.

"No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."

In my imperfection I desire to walk uprightly.

The desire itself pleases you.

It's like a small child who spends the afternoon in the backyard flower garden.

He picks flowers.

He picks a few weeds too.

He makes a bouquet to hand to his Dad.

It's not much to look at.

Especially as the dirt from the uprooted plants falls all over the floor when he brings it inside.

With bright shining eyes he looks up and hands it to his father.

It's not really a bouquet he's handing over.

It's his heart.

The father's heart melts.

"I can't wait to bless you, my son!"

"O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you."

The little boy runs back out into the world content.

That's what you do when you know that your heart is in good hands.

No comments: